Sunday, September 9, 2007

Three weeks and Thirteen Houseguests

We have had crazy first few weeks in our house. We were lucky enough to have house guests on the day we closed on our home. It sounds crazy, but our good friends the Lukes happened to be passing through with their five adorable children. We hadn't seen them since the last time we were in process of buying a house and had no accomodations to offer them, so it was fitting that they could show up and sleep on the floor of our home the first night we had it available. Despite lack of anything to offer them other than carpet we had a great time running around our empty house and catching up. The day after they left we moved all of our stuff in, and the unpacking fun began.

Last week for Labor Day my brother Tom and his family drove down from Maryland to visit us. They have been on the East coast for a decade now, and we are the first family to live this side of the Mississippi, so now we are special. Or at least in driving distance. This made a good goal for me to get at least some of the house in operable condition so they would want to come back, and not just feel sorry for my inability to keep house. The kids loved my plasma car, and I even took little Elizabeth Jane for a few spins. Unfortunately I have no footage of my prego self tooling around on my plasma car with a two year old. Oh well.

I just got Brian back from Canudia where he spent the weekend at a big conference in Montreal. Baby decided to have a growth spurt (read: this hurts my belly!) so I got precious little done, but I did eat a lot and got to the pool every day to swim laps.

Now most of the excitement is over, and we are settling into our routine of Brian getting up early to go teach seminary, and then going to work, while I waddle around the house and wonder if the day is soon coming that I can't trim my own toenails. (right now I can barely reach the silly things!) anyway, we are excited for our sweet baby and can't wait for the weeks to pass so we can get to know her!

4 comments:

Angela Draper said...

I wish we could have been there with Tommy & the gang. I'm sure you guys had so much fun. Maybe one day we'll be on the East also. Right now I guess we'll just aim for the same country :) I remember those stretching pains all too well. Luckily this time around the skin is already nice and stretched out so it hasn't been too bad. Hang in there! That baby girl will be here soon enough!

Cara Fish said...

How funny! You must be exhausted! Houseguests are fun, but tiring...plus being pregnant and unpacking, etc. You should take a nap! :)

Janine said...

Naps are the staff of life right now! No worries... :)

Susan said...

We had SUCH a nice time at the Price Mansion. Not JUST because of the plasma car (though that was a huge hit with every single member of the family!) We mostly loved the hanging out, but seeing old Salem was neat, swimming at Brian's pool, visiting campus with Molly, the bbq in the big screened porch, and enjoying your most excellent library of children's literature! I feel sure this retreat will become our family favorite :)