
Initially I thought we would have to camp out to find the parade, but it soon became clear that there were processions going on everywhere, all the time. We ran into the marches several times each day. Usually they had penitentes, followed by these huge floats that are carried by about 20 men underneath. They happened to be doing the changing of the guards right under the balcony so we got to see everyone wrapping up to prevent hernias or blown backs, then wrapping their heads in padding.

The floats were huge and very heavy, so I was impressed that there were people dedicated to marching multiples floats around all day.


AND NIGHT! Theses photos were taken at midnight, and the place was hopping.So this has gone on for the whole week, and is pretty impressive. I have really enjoyed seeing the cultural phenomenon of everything.
2 comments:
I loved Semana Santa in Guatemala, although it was tough for missionary work. The KKK guys freaked me out the first time, but it was cool that they had the purple, white and black robes to change it up. Luckily no burning crosses.
So crazy and SO Catholic! Yea Spain!
Post a Comment