Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Confessions of a toy addict

When I was a child, I was the kind of kid who would spend hours looking through the Sears catalog, imagining how cool it would be to own certain toys. I gained a lot of pleasure, as well as frustration by perusing, imagining, and even, on occasion, receiving some of the dreamed of loot.

Now that I am an parent I find myself a toy addict. I love to find cool toys for my kids to play with, and when they cost more than I am willing to pay, I find myself being a little obsessive. Like, this one for example: The mini kick Scooter I know it is an awesome ride on toy-- a son of a friend had one in London last year, and it was so neat I wished I was 3 feet tall and 30 pounds again. I totally want to buy it and have Cora love it more than anything else in the world, but I continue to choke on the price tag. Besides, if she doesn't like it then my inner child will be hurt.

I also want to get a weeride balance bike. I love the idea of her learning to balance and cruising around, but I hate the idea of her losing control on one of our hills in the neighborhood...

Anyway, you get the idea. I just wish that cool toys were cheaper, and that I was little enough to get on and enjoy them too. But then, I wouldn't have the money to buy them! Bah! I am resisting the urge to buy right now, and it hurts! Maybe writing this post will relieve some of my angst.

6 comments:

Susan said...

You're so funny, Janine! Your kids are lucky to have a mom who loves toys enough to research them like you do! I tend to only like the collecting of toys, like in sets or groups of sorts. The joy of finding another book or toy at the thrift store that went with a set we already had part of would make me all excited.

My kids love coming and enjoying all the cool toys you so thoughtfully purchase! (I don't know many kids with a roller coaster and moonbounce of their own!)

Angela Draper said...

They both look like fun to me. If you do get either one, you'll have to let me know what you think -- I always love copying you!

Melissa said...

We've been coveting the kick scooter too. Some times in the amazon warehouse they have returned scooters that are a lot cheaper. That's how we got our Kent Super scooter :)

CR said...

You are such a fun Mom!

Scot said...

Don't want to make you jealous, but we gave Riley a mini-kick scooter for her birthday. We found it on sale at a local toy store. I think it was $20 - 25 off, putting it more in line with the other scooters we were considering, but much cooler.

Jon and Christine Knecht said...

We bought a balance bike for Maddie and it worked GREAT she hopped on a regular bike and never fell EVER. On the other hand, Daniel couldn't figure it out and just got on a regular bike and rode that instead of one with training wheels. SO!...I can't say whether it works or not! Maybe for some and not for some? And I really LOVE toys I find at yard sales! We have WAY too many bikes since I got them all for $5 at yard sales! So now I'm having a yard sale next Saturday to get rid of some of them...for $5...want one? :)