Thursday, May 13, 2010

Little Ears


Sometimes it seems like Cora is never listening. Like when I ask her to come to me for the tenth time and she ends up in time out a dozen times in one day. Then there are other times when it is uncanny, and unfortunate how well she pays attention.

A couple of weeks ago Brian walked into the art area to find Cora meticulously coloring her arms. Not the table, walls, or anything else, just her arms. I certainly found it to be strange since she doesn't normally do things like that, but then that evening I opened a board book we had just checked out from the library, Skippy Jon Jones Color book, and read a story to her about colors. At the very end, Skippy Jon Jones colors himself. I hadn't looked through the book before, but clearly Cora had! I asked her: "Cora, is this why you colored your arms?" Mystery solved.

Today at the park Cora was eating her picnic lunch and I was talking to some of my friends. One of them was recounting a story about her daughter sticking a piece of apple up her nose and needing surgery to remove it from her nasal cavity. Cora didn't ask any questions, or really seem to be paying attention. We came home, and got out vitamins as part of our afternoon routine. Next thing I know Cora is telling me she has a vitamin in her nose. Lo and behold, she had shoved a chewable vitamin D right up her nose to the point where I could not quite squeeze it out again. I tried to get her to blow her nose, but she kept getting confused and sniffing instead of blowing. Tweezers didn't work and while I was scrambling around trying to find a way to dislodge the vitamin she either sniffed or prodded, and it was up the nose completely out of view. In light of the recent surgery of my friend's experience I immediately panicked about surgery. Luckily I was able to dissolve most of it with a whole bunch of nasal spray, and the pediatrician couldn't see anything in the nose by the time we got it looked at. The doctor also mentioned that Cora was the third two year old she had seen in 24 hours with something shoved up their nose. I guess I am not alone!

Moral of the story. Anytime anyone tells stories that fall under the "things not to do" I will have to be sure and make that distinction for my little ears.

6 comments:

Brian said...

Transcript of a phone call:

[PHONE RINGS]
BRIAN: Hello?
JANINE: Come home right now.
BRIAN: What happened?
JANINE: Cora just stuck a vitamin up her nose and I can't get it out.
BRIAN: I'm on my way.

Scot said...

I know exactly that Skippy Jon Jones book. I was reading it and stopped and thought to myself, "why would I read that to my 3 year old - that's just asking for trouble". Why would that be in a child's book? Once I did read it, but then added how naughty it was and how much trouble he really got in. This and them saying, "pineapple underpants" on Mickey's playhouse wonders if the creators have/had kids.

twd said...

For a young child, even saying "not to do something" brings it to mind and may increase the child's likelihood of doing it. Especially if there is not an obvious (to a young child) reason for not doing it.

To that which we attend we get more.

Angela Draper said...

So glad that this story had a happy ending and I will be sure to be careful what I say around that sweet girl.

CR said...

Wow, that girl is too smart! When I was 3, I stuck a bean up my nose, got home from the Dr., then did it again. Apparently the 2nd time was worse, because all I remember was the Dr. sticking a really long thing up my nose, and it being very painful! SO glad that Cora (and her Mom) are OK.

Corrine said...

she is just too cute!!!