Thursday, October 7, 2010

Little Sam Sam

Just shy of 8 months Samuel is getting really mobile. He can roll and scoot whatever general direction pleases him, as well as hold himself up on all fours. We are just waiting for that moment when he begins crawling in earnest. He is very much interested in what I am eating-- not so much interest in his baby food. Tonight at dinner he was screaming in his high chair to be picked up, and so I brought him into my lap. Immediately he began a full court press on my plate, arms flailing and grabbing, head and body thrust forward. Attempts to block him with a single one of my arms while eating with the other quickly proved useless. Samuel stepped up his efforts and caught hold of the edge of my plate. Only my cat-like reflexes prevented a complete loss of dinner to my lap and the floor. After that I gave up and just let him suck and nibble at what was on my plate. At least one of us was happy.

Even though Samuel only has minimal control over his body, I find it amazing how much he can communicate. In the car we have "The" CD. When Samuel is upset, track6, also known as "Snuggle Puppy" will buy you 1:47 seconds of peace, and if played twice can often segue in to a nap, or the patience to listen to another tune without squalling. As maddening as it might seem to have one CD to listen to day, after day, after day, I have decided it is better than screams from the back seat. Once calmed, Samuel is also opinionated about which songs on the CD he likes. He complains, grumbling at first, then escalating if I forget to skip songs he deems unworthy of his time.

Ever since he was tiny he had the greatest lower lip. When something is not going his way, it just drops out in the most adorable, yet heartbreaking way. I have to remind myself not to let the way it melts my heart dissuade me from proper choices, but it is so hard to say no to that lower lip! I love my little guy!

3 comments:

Becca said...

Asher has only recently outgrown his adoration of Snuggle Puppy. We have the book, but not the CD, so I came up with my own tune. The mere mention of it would get him running to his room for bedtime.

Teri said...

Oh my gosh, that sounds so cute. Sounds like Sam already has some defined musical talent. I love the pouty lip!

Linda said...

I do believe Sam's mom was a master of the lower lip since she was just a wee one!