Saturday, February 4, 2012

While the Neen is away

Janine's grandmother, Lilian, passed away at 106 in January, so she and Sam made the trip out to Utah while Cora and I stayed (or more correctly, are staying) home. The first things we did was set up a very detailed calendar for the week. I don't know if it's the influence of Isabella from Phineas and Ferb, but my little daughter is continually asking what we're doing on any given day. Today's activities, for example, included a trip to the science museum, lunch, and a movie at the cheap-o theater.

The best quote thus far came over breakfast. As a prelude: when Cora says or does something insensitive, I usually ask her to think about how her words or actions affect others. (I can do this, by the way, because she has always shown a high degree of empathy; when Janine was pregnant and laid out with the first-trimester ailments, Cora - who was a little over two - would bring Janine blankets, stroke her head, and assure it that everything would be all right.) So this morning I got her breakfast set up, put her in her chair, and headed back to the kitchen to finish making my breakfast and clean up a little. About five minutes later she comes in and asked me to sit down with her. I explained that I was taking care of breakfast blahblahblah. And I quote:

Cora: Daddy, I'd like you to imagine for a moment that you were sitting all by yourself at the table. Wouldn't you want someone to sit down with you? Wouldn't that help you eat your food a little better?

Daddy: Well, yes, but I was trying to get a couple of things done...

Cora: Daddy, you're not listening. I'd like you to imagine for a moment that you were sitting all by yourself at the breakfast table. Wouldn't you want someone to sit down with you while you ate?

Daddy: Yes, Cora. Yes, I would.


6 comments:

Janine said...

That is my girl! I love how she thinks about others feelings. I hope you sat down with her. :)

Erin said...

So expressive! I love that!

Susan said...

I'm guessing she'll teach me a thing or two when we get to watch them next month!

LisAway said...

I think it means you guys are doing something right. Or possibly just that you've got a clever, sweet girl. Or both.

Janie said...

Boooya.

Angela Draper said...

That Cora cracks me up! Love it!