Tuesday night we called Janine's brother, Tom, just to chat. Turns out their cousin, Chris - with wife and baby in tow - was in DC and it was suggested that we should travel out to see them. With semester's end nearing (thankfully), I had to opt out, but Janine was game. So, Wednesday morning we scrambled ever so slowly out of bed at 2:15 AM, packed the car and headed for the train station in Greensboro. Thanks to Google Map's inefficiency, we did laps on I-40 for about 20 minutes, and arrived at the platform with all of 15 seconds to spare. It was picturesque. All we were missing was the eerie film noir mist settling over the tracks. And, as the train pulled away, I hustled back to my car in the hopes of knocking out a couple of hours of sleep before the morning's first class.
It is now Sunday. It has been four days. I am one evolutionary step away from reverting to a Neanderthal. That step includes hair. So no worries, folks. But I have mastered the art of clubbing my food. I don't even really have to cook it. I've decided that leftovers taste just fine cold or at room temperature. That always depends on how long I've left it on the countertop. Like my cavemen brothers, structured time has no meaning for me. Without the clear division between work-time and family-time, life's rigid temporality has vanished. Sleep comes when I'm too bored to do anything else. Waking is regulated by sunrise (which can sometimes be fended off by burrowing deeper into my cave / covers). And I promise to shave before Janine gets here.
It is not good for man to be alone. Luckily for me, Janine gets home on Tuesday!
Sunday, April 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Brian...if it makes you feel any better, when John goes out of town we often just have macaroni and cheese or cold cereal for dinner. The boys like it better anyway.
Post a Comment