Ok, so everyone knows you can't really tell gender on small children. Happily you can dress them in colors indicative of gender, or be the first to say, "This is my DAUGHTER, Cora..." etc, etc, etc... Usually you have a 50/50 chance of at least hearing someone get it right the first time-- In the U.S.A.
In Mexico, I am afraid she is doomed to be a boy. Initially I couldn't figure out why it was so tough. Sure, when I dress her in her blue and green tie dye onsie, I assume everyone will call her a boy, but I really love the onsie, so I tolerate it. However, no matter how I dress her, she is an hermoso hombrecito.
Finally the mystery was solved when a Mexican friend asked "Why no earrings?" The light dawned. Monica explained that in Mexico the hospital pierces the ears of baby girls the day they are born. So my baby is obviously a boy to every Mexican who looks at her and sees no earrings. The mystery is solved, but Cora is still going to be called a boy until we return to the states.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
That is funny because as I was reading it I thought, it's the earrings (or lack thereof).
When Jane was a baby I had more than one time when she would be wearing a pink dress and people would still refer to her as a boy. Oh well.
so, why no earrings?
So why no name?
Or capitalization?
Earring stickers, my friend. Or maybe a Sharpie pen. That could buy you a week's worth or "ninita fabulosa".
Post a Comment