Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Momma Trauma

Apparently my scares were in store a few days after Halloween-- Yesterday I was raking leaves, contemplating the futility of such action this early in the Fall, but justifying some exercise while Cora played with her favorite thing-- acorns.

Cora was traipsing around when she fell down and started crying particularly loud. I went over to help her out and picked her up. In one hand she clenched her old familiar acorns, and as I brushed her other hand off I suddenly realized Cora was holding this huge, acorn sized spider!

Cora was crying and I couldn't tell if the spider was biting her, so needless to say, I got a little freaked out! I shook the spider out of her hand, ran her in to wash off and see if I could see any puncture wounds, and had a chat with the on call nurse about what poisonous spiders look like. Luckily, it doesn't look like Cora got bit. I am not sure if she found the spider recently dead, or if Cora crushed it herself, but either way, when I went out to pick it up just in case we needed to take it in with us for a bite visit it was dead. No more nature for this baby! I guess I can just be glad she didn't try to eat it like she does the acorns...

P.S. does anyone recognize this spider? Bleech.

11 comments:

Brian said...

From my crash course in internet entomology, it looks like a marbled orb-weaver.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d3/Marbled_Orb_Weaver.jpg

http://www.kostich.com/marbled%20orb%20weaver.JPG

LisAway said...

That is the scariest Halloween story I've read this year, I think. And I've read some good ones. EEEelllch! *shudder*

Corrine said...

yuck...so glad she didn't get bitten, are you sure she didn't bite it first? did you ever find out what it was??

scary!

Angela Draper said...

Yuk! Yuk! Yuk! That is one of my fears also that a crazy bug will get one of my little ones. I'm so glad that Cora is ok!

twd said...

Isn’t it just amazing, we have this
Ferocious, soulless, alien world
Always right at our feet, and
We call it the beauty of nature.

Shauna said...

Holy crap. I don't think I've ever seen a spider that looks more poisonous than that one. eeeeek! I'm so glad it didn't bite her! That is terrifying.

Brian said...

The best part, though, was squeezing its hunter-orange guts out. Really cool. Janine did not appreciate it as much as I, however.

Shauna said...

Geez! I'd have positively flipped. I don't know that I could have summoned the courage to pull it out of her hand. I'm just about the worst arachnaphobic that ever lived.

I'm glad it didn't bite her...all spiders are venomous (some more than otheres) and they've been known to carry a nasty cocktail of bacteria in their glands...evil!

Jill McQuade said...

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww don't you know the cardinal blogging rule???? all spider pictures are to be put up as links. ewwwwwwww

Tyra said...

Yuck! That is so gross! I'm so glad Cora's ok. If I saw that spider I would scream at the top of my lungs and run away. I've been scared of spiders since forever. Ewwwwwww.

Cara Fish said...

seriously!? That is nasty. Ugh.