Friday, April 17, 2009

Cora's words

When we started this baby signing bit, I was skeptical. My fear was speech delay brought on by over-dependence on non-verbal cues. Cora has since disabused me of that concern. So I thought that I would provide a partial list of some of our wee girl's most common words.

Family: Mommy, Daddy, cousin, boy, girl, baby

Colors: Blue, green, yellow, purple, red, white

Animals: Turtle, bird, dolphin, whale, shark, fish/fishy, dog, cat, donkey, cow,

Food: Milk, noodle, chocolate ("choc", but we know what she means), cracker, cheese

Clothes: Socks, shoes, shirt, coat, hat

Manners: Please, no, no-no-no-no-no-no-no, NO-NO-NO-NO-NO-NO-NO-NO-NO, yes, all done (really sounds more like NEE-NEE), hello, bye-bye, night-night

Toys: Animals, doll, stroller, farm, ball, bubble, show (for movies)

Movies: Fishy ("Finding Nemo"), ooh-ooh-ooh (monkey sounds and sign for "Curious George"), whale ("Fantasia 2000"), dog ("Lady and the Tramp")

Numbers: 1-10, generally with only minimal help. 7 is the worst one, but she happily skips it to get to 8.

ABCs: ABCDEFGhIJKLmnOPqrSTUVwXYZ (Cora gets about the first three without much prompting; after that it's repetition time; but she does know the signs for quite a few!)

Bodily functions: Toot, poop, pee

Body parts: Ear, eye, nose, mouth, teeth, elbow, hand, knee, belly, bottom, feet, toes

Random phrases: "Get up, mommy!"

Spanish words: Mosto, hola

3 comments:

Susan said...

The kids are going to have so much fun with Cora and her speaking! They still sign stuff they learned from her at Christmas.

Janie said...

show off

Danielle said...

Go Cora! I have to say my experience has been that kids who sign are MORE verbal. The more signs they know the more they speak. In fact, I wager there is not a person alive who talks more than Andrew. I don't think he ever stops for breath. He talks even in his sleep. Our home,car, yard, etc...is never silent. And Ryan is also a little chatterbox these days. We call him our personal tour guide. "There's a truck. There's a house. It is blue. There's a bird. Mommy, I see my shoes." I think perhaps we will sign a little less with Molly. LOL