Friday, April 9, 2010

Potty Training

This Wednesday we made the switch. Diapers are out, froggy potty is in. After learning about several techniques I chose to use a book we happened to have sitting around: Toilet Training in less than a day. Cora seemed mildly bored with the process within the first 15 minutes, and peed like a champ. The rest of the day went pretty well, with only one accident. Cora instantly recognized that she had an solid excuse for getting out of bed repeatedly that night, and finally ran out of pee and poop at 10:30 at night. Though we have put her in diapers each night she has woken up dry, and ready to use the potty and put on her big girl underwear.


Lowlight: Sam and Cora both let it fly in unauthorized manners at nearly the same second. I was consoling Sam as he was working it out when I looked up and realized Cora was doing the same thing in her underwear. Panicking (just like the book said not to) I scooped her up and ran to the potty, pulled her pants down hoping to get her in to the potty in time, and realized all I had done was scare Cora and smear poo all over her legs and the potty. Then I returned to Sam who required a full change after which he promptly blurped curdled milk all over me. Definitely more than my fill of the gooeyness of small children.

Highlight: Today Cora got up after I had put her down for a nap and began nursing Sam. Cora came out of her room and asked for permission to use the potty, went into the bathroom, pulled down her pants, peed, wiped, pulled her pants back up, informed me she was done, and went back to bed saying "don't come in!" So I just sat there and nursed Sam. Happy mommy.


So, things are going pretty well, and I am proud of my girl!

P.S. I love the potty. It keeps everything where it should be!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't no diapers great...Zach got that down 2 years 2 months really early for boys but we went with it and every now and then we have accidents at nap but other than that...we love it and are so proud of him!

BJC said...

We used that same book...well, Brad used that same book(we made a deal before having children that I would train the girls and he would train the boys and I guess I've just lucked out) and it worked great for all three of our boys. I think Garrett caught on the fastest though.

Angela Draper said...

So glad things are going so well for Cora. What a big girl! Although I did have to laugh a little at your "lowlight". Cleaning up poopy kids is no fun. I feel for you!