Monday, September 3, 2007

The best birthday present ever

I am impossible to buy presents for. Long ago my dad took me to the store to look for a present for myself (Having given up on trying to surprise me). I carefully perused the entire toy store, then came up to my dad with tears in my eyes and said "Daddy, where are the toys I like?"

This trend has only gotten worse through the years, and now my sweet Brian bears the brunt of trying to figure out what to do when the dreaded gift-giving time comes around. My first birthday as a married woman he carefully planned several purchases online. One of the gifts got back ordered and didn't arrive. Some panicked research by Brian the day before my birthday revealed that the second company he ordered a gift from had gone out of business without notifying anyone that they would not be getting their merchandise. It seems the fates were combining against me (and Brian).

Fast forward another year. My personal favorite. This time I received an I.O.U for a pimple popper. The peak of romance. I admit, I had mentioned wanting one, but I wasn't thinking B-day.

The next few years we had the pleasure of being on vacation every time my birthday came by. Trying to drag around a present in addition to suitcases was just not an option that sounded like a good idea. Especially since I could think of nothing worth buying with our hard earned sheckles. (While we were dating Brian called me from Puerto Rico to wish me a happy birthday. I told him it was too expensive and to call me back when he got to the states. He took it personally and didn't call me for over a month... but that is another story.) Point being, I am frugal, and hate to waste money on things I don't need.

So this year, I told Brian if we had a house with wood floors I needed a plasma car. My wish was granted, and I must say, my new wheels are much more fun than my pimple popper. Happy Birthday to me! If you have never seen a plasma car, come visit us, and you can test drive mine.

5 comments:

Angela Draper said...

Ok so I had never heard of these before, but I did look it up on the internet and I am intrigued. I think you need to add a video of you on your new toy! I'll be waiting :)

twd said...

Wow! So now I finally get the answer to the question "Where are the toys Janine likes?" 29 years too late! Oh Well.
Love,
Janine's Dad

Cara Fish said...

THAT is the funniest thing I have ever seen. Keep this on your blog, please, so if I have a bad day, I can watch it. Oh my gosh. I am still laughing. Still. Yep, still...

Janie said...

Who are you? and Happy Birthday! Brian, don't do what Neener says, you need to waste money on her and buy her something she doesn't need and then tell her, mira, you are going to like this useless present and forget about how much it costs!

booyah

Susan said...

The plasma car rocks! And if Janine isn't the best example of how yoga will keep you flexible even when pregnant...