Recently I was reading about my developing infant, and how they love to be in control of... anything. It doesn't matter, just as long as they feel powerful.
I was contemplating my own feelings of satisfaction this morning when I smugly pressed the pedestrian crossing button that connects me with the campus where Brian is teaching. This button makes me feel powerful. Unlike lousy stateside buttons which you pound on endlessly, hoping the message has arrived to the light, this one reacts the instant you touch it. The green light for the cars flashes three times, signaling that someone more important has arrived to cross the street-- ME! Then comes the yellow, and the all-powerful red.
Now, the power trip part comes from the little conversation that goes on inside my head as I approach the light that bows to my instant whim. Should I press it immediately? Should I benevolently allow the current group to pass, smilling graciously as they fly by? Do they realize they are at my mercy?
And what if there are no vehicles present? Do I still hit the button, clinging to my bit of power, or do I start across the street, and risk the possibility of having to scurry like a scared ant if a less-important, but large car approaches?
Even worse, what if someone takes pity on the lady with a baby and stops BEFORE I hit the button? Do I still hit the button? Do I cede my power to their kindness and risk some other person giving me a dirty look for NOT hitting the button?
So many questions, so many decisions, and a chance to influence the destiny of dozens of automobiles everyday.
I AM POWERFUL!!! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
You are powerful Janine...and it our house you are unbeatable also ;)
I am beginning to wonder if you didn't bring enough things with you to do while in Mexico... just teasing... thank you for the glimpse into the rabbit trails that make up your thoughts.
The kids are praying for your safe return and upcoming trip, so for safety's sake (rather than for the power trip) hit the button!
i'd be tempted to cross back and forth making many motorists wait and be late, just because I can :)
I know exactly what you mean. Every time I drive up to the gate at the parking lot at work and the little automatic sensor on my car makes it open, I feel powerful!
The ultimate in power sensation came when you kids were teenagers. When your mother and I would come home in the car we would push the garage door opener once: The garage door would start opening making a noise that could be heard in the house, then the television and computer games would turn off, the vacuum would start running, the dishes would start getting rinsed in the sink, the garbage would start heading for the dumpster, etc.
O My it was wonderful. Talk about a "power trip" from pushing one little button.
____
I am told that in the USA some pedestrian crosswalk buttons are merely placebos--there to give those on foot something to do until the servo mechanism in the light gets around to changing things on its own schedule.
I love this post! It's so funny that something like that can bring out so many aspects of you personality. I'm afraid I would mostly not want to be in anyone else's way, but then again, pedestrians have the right of way, and I'm a real stickler for "the law."
I love twd's comment! Ha! I can say for sure that that never happened in OUR household, although it's mostly because we didn't have a garage door opener. I believe one of us was one watch for the headlights coming, to the same effect. And that sounds right about the placebo crosswalk !
You are hilarious! Glad you are having fun. We miss you. Esther loves Cora's pictures.
-Christena
Post a Comment