Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Madrid-- Part 2

The next day we spent in Madrid. We ate paella, a typical Spanish dish (rice simmered with vegetables, seasoning, seafood and meat). It was very tasty, but waiting for it to get cooked while entertaining baby girl took some of the fun away.

We went to the Museo del Prado twice. We were lucky enough to have it just across the street from our hotel. Photos were not allowed, so you can look at a cute picture of our baby sleeping.

Cora enjoyed looking for the cows which are scattered throughout Madrid. They are pieces of art, all decorated differently. Cora loved them!

Here is Cora in the Plaza Mayor of Madrid. It was strange to look at the plaza and contemplate the power that used to exist here when the Spanish Empire spread all over the world. Having spent most of my time in Latin America it was strange to hear about the conquest from this side of the sea. I have to say, I can't help but get the willies when I think of all of the dark things that have happened here historically. Apparently they also used to do bullfights in the plaza. Who knew?


Next we have the Palacio Real de Madrid (royal palace). Also very pretty, filled with neat artifacts and lots of armor. No pictures allowed. Bah! We did get to see 5 real Stradivarius instruments!

1 comment:

Susan said...

The asleep in the car shot is classic travel times. I'm glad she was able to enjoy Madrid!