The last few evenings Janine and I have been in the company of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson, or better yet, Ralph Ricahrdson and John Gielgud lending voice to the adventures of the famous London detectives. It has been thoroughly entertaining and I highly recommend hunting down a copy Doyle's stories and giving them a good read. Holmes' snootiness coupled with intellect and Watson's Sancho-Panza-esque foil make for good companions to our evenings. And what is more, tomorrow night we're going to watch "The Great Mouse Detective", Disney's 1986 film version of a children's book based loosely on the Holmes' stories. It's on YouTube in 7 parts and since our movies selection here is wanting a little, we'll have to make do.
In other news, Cora is cute as ever and learning new words all the time. This week she picked up a new Spanish term: "pan" for "bread". I haven't figured this one out yet, because we use the English term at the table. My best guess is that she hears it when we go shopping. But there is no doubt that that's what she is saying.
She's still working on "chocolate"; it sounds more like "chac", which could be a reference to the Yucatán god of rain and lightning, Chac Mool. Janine doesn't buy this theory however, but truth be told, I think she has something against him. When we got married she made me take my Chac statue to my campus office because "we don't decorate with pagan idols". Go figure. Anyway, "chocolate" is still in the works, but Cora is practicing it everyday. Su would be so proud.
New on the list this week is "moon" (which she identifies in the evening sky as well as in any building with a round dome lamp attached to the ceiling), "new", duck, "grape juice", "baby", "dog", "please", "cheese", and "cold". "Cold" is our personal favorite because she screws up her face, scrunches down her head into her shoulders, waves her little fists, and shakes her legs while saying it. We treated ourselves to a McDonald's chocolate sundae the other night and with every bite she would do this little routine to our utter amusement.
And "poo poo", which sometimes simply refers to gas. The other day a barking spider got loose in the house. She looked up at me with a genuine look of concern and asked, "Poo poo?" I assured her I didn't need a diaper change.
Saturday, March 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I love when they put signs and words together. It makes their first words so animated. (like cold) I loved when Andrew learned "grumpy" and felt the need to sign and say it in a deep voice every time.
(Chortling about cold and poopoo) I love Chac Mool! When my family visited the ruins in (forgive me if I name the completely wrong place) Merida, we attended a sound and light show. They ran out of English headsets, so most of what we remember was the somewhat ghostly moaning of his name, "Chaaaaaaac! Chaaaaaac!"
Hey, Tory just bought a book of Holmes' greatest mysteries. And gross - barking spiders? I like Cora. I can't WAIT to see you guys. Sorry Brian.
try www.Hulu.com and if you can afford $9 a month netflix has streaming videos (probably won't mail dvds to spain) though you get the physical discs along with the streaming videos.
Yea for Spanish! I'm just going to send my kids to you like boarding school from ages 2-18. Okay?
Post a Comment