Sometimes I wonder who is in charge in this family. We definitely have multiple opinions, and the smallest member of the family also expresses her opinions the loudest! From time to time Brian and I have toyed with cutting meat from our diets, but nothing has given us motivation like a child who whole heartedly rejects meat in almost any form. Cora refuses chicken, beef, pork, and fish. The only thing we can get by her are tiny shrimp. So now, we eat more shrimp than ever before, and almost no meat. I know it is good for your body to eat less meat, and now we have the inspiration to do it. Nothing is quite as annoying as watching a lovingly prepared meal get rejected with a raspberry. Gah! Anytime we have cunningly slipped a piece of meat, even well hidden, into other food, it all comes out in a gooey mess.
We have decided to go with the flow and let our little vegetarian minded girl lead the way. Brian and I are actually enjoying it, and trying out a lot of fun new recipes. We have also saved quite a bit of money by not buying meat, which is nice since the Euro is quite a bit stronger than the Dollar. Anyway, I go through phases where I am worried about her getting enough protein, but we keep a pretty balanced diet, and she sucks down the yogurt and cheese so I am not too worried.
Any favorite vegetarian recipes to share?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
You probably already know this but Meredith's blog has some really great recipes. Every one that I have tried has turned out super good. Also, you could try red quinoa for a substitute for ground meat. It isn't perfect but we have found it is pretty good and the boys like it (if you can get over the fact that is looks like little worms are crawling out of it)
I hear you on meals being rejected. That always takes it out of me. I so understand and remember trying to adjust my meals so Eric would partake. Now I'm up to four children (although it's no problem yet with Peter). It is a rare thing to find a meal that all will eat... *sigh*
Does she like beans? Legumes in general are pretty good on the protein, right? I do a lot with beans. Let me know if you want some recipes.
Oooh, yeah, frijoles are a favorite around here!
This is one of our all-time favorite veggie dishes.
Brian giving up meat?!!?
melissa beat me to it, but my vegetarian recipe blog is http://vegetarianation.blogspot.com
good luck and let me know if you want access to it as a contributor if you find some great recipes that you'd like to post as well!
also, alexa, that link you posted to the recipe won't work because it is to a private blog. mind sharing the recipe?
Our kids favorite vegetarian meal: peanut butter on graham crackers.
And I second that question...Brian and no meat? The host of "Death by meat?"
Unfortunately...we are meat-itarians at our house...it is often only meat we can get in our kids....ah. The motivation swings in the opposite direction!
I too rejected meat in all forms as a kid (and kept up with it for a while). At least she can have dairy :) If you find anything especially tasty, send it my way.
Post a Comment