Our Mexico adventures are winding up now, and we head to Texas this coming Thursday.
We just finished a three day stint at Ixtapa, a city that was built from a pineapple plantation specifically to attract tourists and money. It seems to be working pretty well. The place was thronging with tourists, and definitely a different feel than Querétaro. This was the end party for the students after finishing their studies. Brian and I have never stayed at an "all inclusive" resort before, so it was quite the change from the normal one-star dives we frequent when paying for ourselves. Usually the only thing included in our stays are a variety of pests to munch on us while we sleep...
The first day we got into the water, checked out the free strawberry daquiris and sushi bar. Mexican sushi was about as impressive as Argentinian sushi. I don't know why I bother to get excited about such things anymore. The daquiris and piña coladas were something we went back for several times every day.
Poor Cora, who hasn't even seen a bath tub for seven weeks was a little scared of the ocean, so after satisfying ourselves that we were not having fun trying to dip her into the sea, we just went for walks in the surf with Cora stowed safely in the Snugli where she felt safe.
The next day we dusted off our scuba certifications and went diving. Needless to say, it was WAY better than the one other time we went diving at Lake Travis and stared at catfish. We saw a sea turtle, eel, pufferfish, octupus, and a variety of other fish. Fifty five minutes felt like nothing, and soon we were back home. Some of Brian's students were good enough to put off drinking for a few hours so they could take care of Cora while we dove. We are eternally grateful for their sacrifice!
The next day we went deep sea fishing. I had never gotten seasick before, but I can no longer make that claim. The water was very choppy, and my body was no match for the sea. About an hour into it, one of Brian's students kindly donated his breakfast to the sea. Next, the captain's son, who looked to be about seven made his contribution. My stomach hung on for about two and a half hours of misery until it decided to give up the fight.
So, while everyone was cheering the conquest of the great marlin, I was heaving over the side of the boat, trying to stay away from the fish that was being reeled in with it's rather long spear like weapon. Luckily, there was something more exciting for the students to look at than the professor's wife blowing chunks. As I watched the minutes drag by on my watch, I felt new horror for immigrants who crossed the Atlantic on a boat while suffering from seasickness. ICK!
Ah yes, the great Marlin. The students caught a couple of small fish, but the show was definitely stolen by the five or six foot Marlin that was pulled in at the very end. It took two of the students over a half an hour to reel this one in, and I have to admit, it was very exciting, I even enjoyed it as I was going through all of my phases of sickness. I closed my eyes for the clubbing of the marlin, but when we stopped at a beachside restaurant and had the fishes turned into everything fish-tasty, I had my appetite back, and I have to say, Marlin is very tasty!
6 comments:
I love hearing about your adventures. Sounds like some tough "work" going on there. I'm jealous you are going to Spain. I LOVE Spain after we went in 2006 for a conference and leasure. If you are in Austin in time, we (the youth) are heading to Zilker hillside theatre on Thursday night (Beauty and the Beast).
Maybe we will come... we arrive in the afternoon. When and where do you meet?
Awesome! What a great way to end your stay. I'm sorry about getting sick on the boat! I can't believe you trip is almost over. Are you ready to come back? Chris and I counting down the days until your return, so if things are going by quickly, it is probably because I'm wishing it so. Have a great time in Austin! Get your fill of Tex Mex and Mexican before you come back to the desert of Mexican food (though we did find a place with a decent selection of hot sauces, but it is still not the same).
What a fun end to your trip! Well except for the seasickness. No fun at all. I love the pic of Cora in the ocean. Her face says get me out of here! Travel safely to Texas. We miss you guys!
What adventures! I'd like one of those pina coladas right now, please.
There's nothing like being so nauseous when you are trying to do something fun and exciting. I'm glad you didn't let it put a damper on the rest of the day.
That little girl is chunking up. Those little legs are so cute and chubby.
Glad you got to go diving! Was the pufferfish puffy? One look at you 2 crazies underwater and I'd be puffin'!!
I love Cora's face as she's enjoying the feel of that sand in her toes...at least as much as she enjoyed the feel of grass, anyway!
As for seasickness...it reminds me. I just went to get out an excedrin you'd given me for driving purposes which I had put in my dramamine container. I was so surprised to see I only had 2 plain pills, since I remembered having like 4 1/2 excedrin. Then it suddenly hit me, when we flew from DC to CA we were all sick on the first leg, with Beth tossing her cookies all over in spite of my attempts to contain it (she was across the aisle from me, by Tyra). So before we got on our 2nd leg I got out the dramamine tube and made all my kids chew 1/2 a tablet and took one myself. The leg wasn't as turbulent, but I remember being surprised that I still felt some motion sickness. I had also expected drowsier kids than I had, for some reason! But no one complained of being uncomfortable after the long flight, we all felt great with the painkiller in us :)
Post a Comment