Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Feliz 18 de Septiembre!

Long ago, in another hemisphere I came to love the people of Chile. As the decades have passed so has the frequency with which I reflect on my time on my mission. Currently, we are with a lot of fresh college students without decades between their current lives and missions. Claire, a student on our study abroad found a Chilean restaurant having a 18 de Septiembre celebration. We decided to truck into Madrid and see what was going on. Between the train, 2 metro lines and the walking in between, it took us almost 2 hours to arrive at the restaurant. Unfortunately, most of the celebration was happening later in the evening, but that didn't stop us from eating some delicious empanadas! As I was chowing down on my empanada de pino it struck me how many emotions, thoughts and memories were flooding through me. A dam of everything opened up and as I worked my way through my empanada, I also enjoyed reflecting and remembering all of the ways my life was altered, blessed, and reshaped by my mission. Anyone who has listened to me talk about my mission knows that I suffered a lot under extremely harsh living conditions. While I love to complain and horrify others with tales of fleas, lice and unclean water, I have never wished the experience had not happened. Living in Chile, sharing my life with many wonderful souls and speaking of Christ changed my life forever. I will always be grateful, and will always remember my time in Chile.
 Madrid 2019 celebrating with Claire, my fellow Chilean
 1997-1998 Chilean Hermanas
 Helping harvest potatoes in Champa
 Mission get together
Celebrating baptism

No comments: